Monday, October 18, 2010

Facebook Destroys Personal Privacy! And the World!

Pretty catchy title, eh?

Yep, every month at least I am asked a question about privacy issues on Facebook. Usually it's based on some really alarming bit of news that's spread around and sounds really horrifying.

The funny thing is, in my opinion, Facebook has been pretty sensitive to privacy issues and customizing it for it's users. If you had 500 billion "customers," would you be able to keep up with every single request to make your business suit every single user perfectly? I know I wouldn't! So I find it hard to be critical about their privacy "issues."

In this article the title accuses Facebook of a privacy breach. But what the article is really talking about is 3rd Party Applications that utilize Facebook through it's open source programming. That means that a company outside of Facebook can access the Facebook program and connect to users.

I'm generally careful about which 3rd party applications I allow to connect to my Facebook profile because they generally require pretty open access to my information. So I only allows ones I'm actually going to use for some purpose, like the "Reviews" application for my business Page. Other popular applications are Farmville and Yoville. 

If you don't have a hankering to read the whole article, here's a video that covers the basics:

Posted via email from Really Simple Social Media

No comments:

Post a Comment